After the occupation of the city by the Turks (1645) several changes occurred that influenced the structure of the city and the living conditions in general. The Turkish population settled mainly at the eastern districts of Kasteli and Splantzia. The Christian population settled mainly at the district of Topanas, on the northwestern part of the city. The name "Topanas" derives from the Venetian powder magazine (in Turkish, "Top-Hane") that was located on the street "Theotokopoulou".
In about the end of the 19th century, the district of Topanas featured beautiful houses, narrow streets and magnificent Venetian buildings. The Consulates the Great Powers were located there, and later they moved the district of Halepa. Nowadays, the district of Topanas features a variety of centers at the sea front, ideal for the social gatherings of the people of Chania.
The "Firka" (meaning "military unit") fortress is located on the northwest part of Topanas.
The El Greco was 2 houses together, one next to the other, which was demolished internally only, the year 1979 where the construction started.
During the second World War one of the two houses used as asyrmatistirio by Greek fighters.
The hotel was named after the famous painter, because of the homonymous name of the street ''Theotokopoulou''.